Appendix from Slice of History
by Allan Dunlop
Read before the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society 26 March, 1998
Founding of Golf Courses in Nova Scotia, 1895-1945
A course was established in Victoria Park, Sydney in 1895. In 1909 it relocated to a new site at Lingan Bay and incorporated on 31 March 1911. Relocated in 1913 to its present site at McLean's Crossing on the highway between Sydney and Glace Bay. Nine holes-2,950 yards.
In 1918 the Sydney Golf Club appears as an affiliate of the Lingan Golf Club. The Victoria Park course probably closed during World War I.
Studley course-Halifax Golf Club founded 17 April 1896. Nine hole, 1,818 yard course laid out on Studley campus along LeMarchant and South Streets.
1900- GORSEBROOK COURSE - HALIFAX GOLF CLUB
Relocated in 1900 to south end Halifax and the estate of Enos Collins where a nine hole, 1,830 yard course was established. In 1922 Gorsebrook Golf Club established and in 1924 the course was expanded to eighteen holes with a length of 3,800 yards. Covered an area encompassing the present campus of St. Mary's University as well as an area bounded by Robie, South, Wellington and Inglis Streets. Closed in 1948.
1922- HALIFAX GOLF CLUB
Incorporated 13 June 1922 and the Webb/Piercey properties acquired in the Dutch Village area of Halifax. An eighteen hole, 5,800 yard course designed by the noted Canadian golf architect Stanley Thompson, was constructed. This is the site of present day Old Ashburn.
A nine hole course laid out in the summer of 1900 on a hill at the rear of the Acadia University campus.
Club founded on 29 October 1903. The Longworth property served as the initial site for the club. The Club incorporated on 19 April 1906 and opened for play at its present site in 1907. Nine holes, 2,773 yards.
The Town arranged for the lease of the Fort Edward site from the Government on 31 October 1903. The course was forced to close during World War I as the property was required by the military. Reopened about 1925. Closed in 1973. Nine holes, 2,000 yards.
1904 – YARMOUTH
The Tooker Farm acquired and a course laid out. A new Yarmouth Golf Club was formed and incorporated 22 May 1920 and a major expansion/redesign undertaken. Nine holes, 2,773 yards. There is some evidence of informal play of golf at Yarmouth as early as 1896.
A club- the "Thistle Club" existed on the Chignecto Road, Maccan. There is evidence of inter-club play with both Amherst and Moncton.
A course laid out on the Baker farm in West end Amherst. The Club incorporated on 3 May 1912 and by 1913 had relocated to its present site, the Embree farm, in East end Amherst. Nine holes, 2,340 yards.
The Egerton Golf Club existed on lands provided by the Acadia Coal Co. With the outbreak of World War I, the Club ceased. Founding members of this club were instrumental in the establishment of the Abercrombie Golf Club.
Brightwood Golf Club incorporated 6 January 1914 and by July 1914 a course was in play on property known as Mount Thom. The Club struggled through the war years and it was 1924 before it expanded from nine holes, 2,092 yards to eighteen holes, 5,750 yards. The Club continues on its original site to this day.
A nine hole, 2,650 yard course laid out at Prescott Point.
1915 - DIGBY
A nine hole, 2,297 yard course laid out on the hill overlooking downtown Digby. Its approximate boundaries were Warwick, West, Prince William Streets and 2nd Avenue. The course closed in 1939.
1917 - WEST PARADISE
Dr. William Inglis Morse reported, "Began a crude golf course at Pansy Patch." Pansy Patch was the name of his estate and he characterized his Pansy Patch Golf Club as the "Oldest links in Annapolis County."
1919- NEW GLASGOW
The Cooke farm at Abercrombie was acquired and a club formed on 12 May 1919. A nine hole, 2,968 yard course laid out. The Club continues to exist on its original site.
A nine hole, 1,240 yard course laid out on Flinn's Field. Architect Andrew R. Cobb, designed a unique log style clubhouse. Club closed in 1940. Chimney and fireplace of old clubhouse still stand in Flirm's Field.
"Beinn Bhreagh" Golf Club designed and opened on the Alexander Graham Bell estate on 25 August 1919. A par three course, it may have been constructed to help provide amusement for Imperial naval officers who were in Baddeck to oversee admiralty tests of the HDA.
1921 - NEW MINAS
The Ken-Wo Golf Club incorporated 29 April 1921 and acquired a location at New Minas midway between Kentville and Wolfville-thus the name Ken-Wo. A number of holes were in play in 1921 and the course quickly evolved into a nine hole, 2,800 yard course.
The Club incorporated on 28 May 1921 and entered into a lease arrangement with the Pictou Academy Educational Foundation for the Judge James Fogo property, 'Belleville'. Thereon was constructed a nine hole, 2,400 yard course.
The Highland Golf Club formed on 10 May 1922 and a nine hole, 2,600 yard course laid out. The course closed in 1947.
1924- PORT MOUTON
Wobamkek Beach Resort opened a nine hole, 1,760 yard course on its grounds at South West Port Mouton. Red golf balls were used as much of the course was laid out over sand dunes. The course closed about 1939.
Bridgewater Golf Club formed and the Heckman farm acquired. A nine hole, 2,500 yard course laid out.
1924- ANNAPOLIS ROYAL
In 1924 the Edwards farm was acquired for what was initially known as the Albion Vale Golf Club. When the nine hole, 2,400 yard course was officially opened on 15 July 1925 it was called the Hillsdale Golf Club. There are indications of golf being played earlier both within the walls of Fort Anne as well as at an area called "The Cape" near Lequille.
A course opened in Baddeck but closed the following year.
A club was formed on 5 March 1926 and incorporated on 19 March 1926. The Maclsaac/Stewart/Trotter properties on the Post Road were acquired and a nine hole, 2,000 yard course created.
Casey Baldwin arranged for Malcolm Martin to lay out a nine hole, 2,000 yard course at the old flying field.
1929- GROVE'S POINT
The Bras d'Or Golf Club links at Grove's Point, on the St. Andrew's Channel, are to be improved.
The Parrsboro Golf Club was formed on 18 July 1929. A nine hole, 2,711 yard course (with a par of 47) was created.
Dominion Atlantic Railway acquired land on Racquette Hill for an 18 hole golf course. The Stanley Thompson designed 6,222 yard course opened for play in 1931.
1929- WHITE POINT
Construction commenced on a golf course to be part of a major summer resort, but the company went into bankruptcy. The Liverpool Golf Club was formed on 29 April 1932 and altered and finished the incomplete course. The nine hole lay-out was approximately 2,200 yards.
A golf course was under construction on land leased at Kaulbach Head, across the harbour from downtown Lunenburg by 21 June 1933. The Bluenose Golf Club was officially opened by Governor-General, the Earl of Bessborough, on Saturday, 8 July 1933. Nine holes-approximately 2,300 yards.
A course was laid out by Malcolm Martin in the mid-1930s, but the promoters chose not to go forward with the venture.
1940- WEST PARADISE
The Eden Golf Club formed. Six holes opened for play in 1942 and the course was completed in 1944. Nine holes, 2,800 yards. (William Inglis Morse reports on the existence of the course in The Chronicles, November 1941, pp.31-32).
The Cape Breton Highlands golf course (Keltic), designed by Stanley Thompson, officially opened for play on 1 July 1941. Construction had commenced in August 1938. Eighteen holes, 6,161 yards.
Bras d'Or Golf Club begun but property was sold the following year.